The Society of Cambridge Youths is dedicated to ringing the bells for the services at Great St Mary’s both for the Parish and the University. Founded in 1724 the society is the second oldest ringing society at any church in the world with a continuous history of its ringing.
In 2009, in celebration of the 900th anniversary of the founding of the University the bells were replaced with a new ringing of 12 and a flat 6th from Taylors, Eare and Smith of Loughborough. The old clock bells were retained and are still used to strike the chimes.
Photos of the 2009 installation project can be seen here
See Doves Guide for details of the old bells